6 April: International Day of Sport for Development and Peace
Tuesday 6th April marks the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace, an occasion to explore the range of traditional sports and games inscribed on the lists of the 2003 Convention.
Sport can help promote fairness, teambuilding, equality, inclusion and perseverance. Moreover, sport and physical activity can also help us get through times of crisis by reducing anxieties, improving physical and mental health, and strengthening social ties.
The lists of the 2003 Convention for the safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage include many elements related to traditional sports and games and which are anchored in our daily lives and our feeling of belonging to a wider group.
These elements related to traditional sports and games constitute one of the many illustrations of the entanglement of living heritage and sustainable development, particularly with good health and well-being (Sustainable Development Goal 3).
Join us in celebrating those traditions and in enjoying healthy practices !
We follow the United Nations in promoting the #OnlyTogether campaign. Until Tuesday, 6 April, we ask you to share on your social media platforms a picture or video showing the value of sport in your life. We ask that you use the hashtags #OnlyTogether, #SportDay and #LivingHeritage.
If you are ever in need of inspiration, browse through our photo gallery below !
- #OnlyTogether, a United Nations’ online campaign organized for the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace 2021
- La yola de Martinica, un modelo de salvaguardia del patrimonio cultural: desde su construcción hasta el arte de navegar Véase mas sobre el elemento
- Chen Peiju (right), a representative bearer of the Chen School Taijiquan, practices tuishou (hand-pushing skills) with her apprentice Véase mas sobre el elemento
- El alpinismo Véase mas sobre el elemento
- Movement of Silat by practitioners Véase mas sobre el elemento
- Horseback Kabak shooting Véase mas sobre el elemento
- El hurling Véase mas sobre el elemento
- Every region has assimilated the Pencak Silat traditions with their local culture, such as types of accompaniment music along with the musical instrument, costumes, forms of oral tradition and expressions, weapons, etc. without removing the values of Pencak Silat. Véase mas sobre el elemento
- Chidaoba, lucha tradicional georgiana Véase mas sobre el elemento
- El alarde de caballos y camellos Véase mas sobre el elemento
- Tha-mula bandha (nauli) with Tha-uddiyana bandha Internal yogic locks (bandhas) have some structural functions, but primarily they are energetic in nature, and on a very tangible level they regulate the flow of blood through the body. Anatomically a bandha is the co-activation (simultaneous tensing) or opposing muscles around a joint complex. Véase mas sobre el elemento
- La equitación tradicional francesa Véase mas sobre el elemento
- El círculo de capoeira Véase mas sobre el elemento
- Los rituales del pahlevani y el zoorkhanei Véase mas sobre el elemento
- El Naadam, festival tradicional mongol Véase mas sobre el elemento
- El Taekkyeon, arte marcial tradicional coreano Véase mas sobre el elemento