- Having examined document ITH/18/13.COM/7.b,
- Recalling Chapter V of the Operational Directives and its Decisions 4.COM 14.08 and 9.COM 5.b.4,
- Expresses its thanks to Mali for submitting, on time, its second report on the status of the element ‘Sanké mon, collective fishing rite of the Sanké’, inscribed in 2009 on the List of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Need of Urgent Safeguarding;
- Takes note of the efforts undertaken by Mali to safeguard the element, in particular by ensuring a participative approach throughout the implementation of the safeguarding plan and its updating, developing capacity-building activities for community members and taking into consideration concerns linked with nature conservation and management issues related to the rite;
- Notes that safeguarding activities were undertaken with the support of International Assistance from the Intangible Cultural Heritage Fund, as reported in Document ITH/17/12.COM/8.a;
- Invites the State Party to continue addressing the threats caused by urbanization, to monitor the possible impact of the security situation in the region on the practice of the element and its tradition bearers, and to pay due attention to monitoring the impact of tourism on the viability of the element, in particular regarding its social and cultural functions in the community;
- Encourages the State Party to continue developing safeguarding approaches and measures in response to present risks and viability concerns, and to pursue its efforts in developing a long-term approach for the sustainability of the element;
- Requests that the Secretariat inform the State Party at least nine months prior to the deadline of 15 December 2021 about the required submission of its next report on the status of this element.