ICH NGO Forum
The ICH NGO Forum is a platform for communication, networking, exchange and cooperation by and for non-governmental organizations accredited to provide advisory services to the Intergovernmental Committee in the framework of the 2003 UNESCO Convention for the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage. More information on the ICH NGO Forum and its activities can be found on their homepage: http://www.ichngoforum.org
ICH NGO Forum Activities
Since 2012, the ICH NGO forum organizes activities on the eve and in the margins of the annual sessions of the Intergovernmental Committee of the 2003 Convention, including thematic symposiums, exhibitions, welcome sessions for newly accredited organisations, networking events, working sessions, the Forum’s annual plenary, and much more! Those are unique opportunities for NGOs to discuss the Forum’s internal and organisational issues, network and exchange information, promote projects and initiatives, meet States Parties and the general public, and raise awaress about the safeguarding of living heritage.
ICH NGO Forum Symposiums
- 2022 Symposium, 17.COM: ‘Living heritage, climate change and the environment’- 27 November 2022, Rabat, Kingdom of Morocco.
- 2021 Symposium, 16.COM: ‘Conferences on Future Directions for ICH: Intellectual Property, Licensing and New Media’- 7 December 2021, Online.
- 2020 Symposium, 15.COM: ‘ICH and Tourism’- 13 December 2020, Online.
- 2019 Symposium, 14.COM: ‘Capacity-building workshop and Symposium’- 7 to 13 December 2019, Bogota, Colombia. During this annual gathering, the ICH NGO Forum discussed various important issues such as the the reform of the listing mechanism of the 2003 Convention, as well as the safeguarding of ICH in urban contexts. The Forum also adopted its Bylaws and Code of Conduct. Other meetings were held according to the detailed agenda.
- 2018 Symposium, 13.COM: ‘Role of accredited NGOs in the implementation of the UNESCO 2003 Convention’- 25 November 2018, Port Louis, Republic of Mauritius. The ICH NGO Forum organized a one-day symposium to collectively reflect on the advisory functions that accredited NGOs could fulfill. Other meetings were held according to the detailed agenda.
- 2017 Symposium, 12.COM: ‘Traditional medicine, sharing experiences from the field’- 5 December 2017, Jeju, Republic of Korea. The ICH NGO Forum has this year organized a three-day capacity-building workshop for accredited NGOs from 1 to 3 December in the ICC Jeju. The annual plenary meeting was held on 4 December and other meetings were held according to the detailed agenda.
- 2016 Symposium, 11.COM: ‘Challenges for NGOs in the promotion of ICH values’ - 27 November 2016, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The 2016 General Assembly of the States Parties has introduced several new Operational directives related to sustainable development. The 2016 symposium addressed the different challenges related to safeguarding, with a view to strengthening capacity building, respect for the environment and opportunities for an inclusive economic development.