- Having examined Documents ITH/13/8.COM/13.a, ITH/13/8.COM/4 and ITH/13/8.COM/5.c,
- Recalling Decision 7.COM 7 and paragraphs 102, 116 and 117 of the Operational Directives,
- Further recalling that the relations among safeguarding, commercialization and sustainable development have figured into the reports of recent Subsidiary Bodies and Consultative Bodies and into the debates of the Committee,
- Recommends to the General Assembly that a new chapter of the Operational Directives on safeguarding intangible cultural heritage and sustainable development at the national level be drawn up for examination by the Assembly at its sixth session;
- Decides to include this topic on the agenda of its ninth session, with a view to examining further revisions of the Operational Directives on this question at its tenth session;
- Requests the Director-General to convene a category VI expert meeting during the course of 2014 to draw up preliminary recommendations of possible directives, subject to the condition that voluntary supplementary contributions to the Intangible Cultural Heritage Fund are received in due course in order to cover all of the costs of organizing such meeting;
- Acknowledges with gratitude the generous invitation of Turkey to host such a meeting and requests the Secretariat to move forward with its implementation;
- Invites the Secretariat to take adequate measures to strengthen UNESCO’s cooperation with WIPO over traditional knowledge and culture to ensure an ongoing exchange and learning between the two organizations on this question.