Organized as part of the thematic initiatives under the 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage, as established by its Intergovernmental Committee, an expert meeting on economic dimensions of intangible cultural heritage safeguarding was convened in two parts:
- Part I of the meeting was held in presentia on 27 and 28 September 2023, at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris, France;
- Part II of the meeting was held online on 20 October 2023.
A group of experts were invited to participate in the meeting to prepare a guidance note on the theme in question (Decision 17.COM 10 and Decision 14.COM 10), which explores ways to maximize the positive effects of economic activities on living heritage safeguarding and sustainable development on communities, groups and individuals, while mitigating their negative impacts.
The draft guidance note prepared through this expert consultation will be presented to the Intergovernmental Committee at its eighteenth session (4 to 9 December 2023, Kasane, Republic of Botswana).
The working documents for the meeting are:
- Agenda and timetable: English|French (LHE/23/EXP THEMA-ECO/1 Rev.3)
- List of participants: English/French (LHE/23/EXP THEMA-ECO/2 Rev.)
- Normative framework for economic aspects in the safeguarding of intangible cultural heritage and sustainable development: English|French (LHE/23/EXP THEMA-ECO/3)
- Insights from different fields: English|French (LHE/23/EXP THEMA-ECO/4.a)
- Case studies: English|French (LHE/23/EXP THEMA-ECO/4.b)
- Survey methodology and overview of results: English|French (LHE/23/EXP THEMA-ECO/4.c)
- Bibliographic references: English/French (LHE/23/EXP THEMA-ECO/4.d)
- Analysis of issues and trends: English|French (LHE/23/EXP THEMA-ECO/5)
- Draft guidance note on economic dimensions of intangible cultural heritage safeguarding: English|French (LHE/23/EXP THEMA-ECO/6 Rev.2)