- Having examined document ITH/18/13.COM/7.b,
- Recalling Chapter V of the Operational Directives and its Decisions 8.COM 7.a.12 and 10.COM 6.b.3,
- Expresses its thanks to Uganda for submitting, on time, its second report on the status of the element ‘Empaako tradition of the Batooro, Banyoro, Batuku, Batagwenda and Banyabindi of western Uganda’, inscribed in 2013 on the List of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Need of Urgent Safeguarding;
- Takes note of the continued efforts undertaken by Uganda to safeguard the element and, in particular, to ensure the participation of communities in the regular monitoring of the safeguarding process, to facilitate the implementation of safeguarding measures through the involvement of a non-governmental organization, to integrate the cultural meaning of the Empaako naming system into programmes on peace building and environmental sustainability, and to initiate the comprehensive participatory documentation of the Empaako tradition;
- Invites the State Party to continue raising awareness in society about the meaning of the element, to enhance mutual respect among various communities, groups and individuals, and to improve the transmission of the Runyoro Rutooro language, as a significant component of the Empaako tradition;
- Encourages the State Party to pursue the development of an online repository of documentation as a source of dissemination and engagement, with due attention to its intended audiences and ensuring its sustainable accessibility, regular use and updating;
- Further takes note of the ongoing International Assistance granted in 2017 for community-based self-documentation and revitalization of ceremonies and practices associated with the Empaako naming system in Uganda and encourages the State Party to coordinate that action with the ongoing measures being undertaken in relation to the Empaako tradition;
- Requests that the Secretariat inform the State Party at least nine months prior to the deadline of 15 December 2021 about the required submission of its next report on the status of this element.