- Having examined document ITH/09/4.COM/CONF.209/11 and its annexes, and having examined the request for international assistance submitted by Kenya entitled ‘Traditions and practices associated to the Kayas in the Sacred Forests of the Mijikenda’ (file number 00326);
- Recalling Chapter V of the Convention and Chapter II of the Operational Directives;
- Commends the State Party for the creativity and diversity of the activities proposed in its request, for its commitment to ensuring the participation of the communities concerned in their implementation and for its attention to an approach to safeguarding intangible cultural heritage together with the natural environment in which it is practised;
- Takes note that the examiners appointed to examine the request have presented their reports to the Committee, incorporated within Annex 1 of Document ITH/09/4.COM/CONF.209/11, in which they recommend the request be approved but raise a number of questions and provide comments regarding the request, as submitted;
- Approves the request in the amount of US$126,580;
- Invites the State Party to prepare, at the earliest opportunity, a revised project that takes into account insofar as possible the comments of the examiners and of the Committee during its debates;
- Requests the Secretariat to assist the State Party, if necessary, in this process of revision.