- Having examined document ITH/17/12.COM/8.c,
- Recalling Chapter V of the Operational Directives and its Decision 6.COM 8.8,
- Expresses its thanks to Indonesia for submitting its report on the status of the element ‘Saman dance’, inscribed in 2011 on the List of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Need of Urgent Safeguarding;
- Takes note of the efforts undertaken by Indonesia to safeguard the element and, in particular, to strengthen modes of transmission, both in the family and through the training of trainers, and to facilitate Saman performance by opening a cultural space where it can be practised and appreciated by a wider public;
- Invites the State Party to continue officially certifying sanggar (traditional arts training centres) in Saman areas, including privately managed ones, training Saman trainers and exponents of Saman dance who can teach it to others, inventorying and documenting the element with photographs and videos, and supporting research studies on Saman and its cultural, religious and health values;
- Encourages the State Party to continue its efforts to further safeguard the element by supporting the transmission of Saman-related knowledge, promoting Saman at the local government level, enhancing the capacity of Saman trainers and sanggar managers, helping Saman groups to operate, strengthening customary institutions related to the element and completing the construction of a Gayo Art and Culture Centre;
- Requests that the Secretariat inform the State Party at least nine months prior to the deadline of 15 December 2019 about the required submission of its next report on the status of this element.