- Having examined document ITH/16/11.COM/9.b,
- Recalling Chapter V of the Operational Directives and its Decision 6.COM 8.21,
- Expresses its thanks to the United Arab Emirates for submitting its report on the status of the element ‘Al Sadu, traditional weaving skills in the United Arab Emirates’, inscribed in 2011 on the List of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Need of Urgent Safeguarding;
- Takes note of the continued efforts undertaken by the United Arab Emirates to safeguard the element and, in particular, those that have been made to strengthen inter-generational transmission of the element, improve the economic condition of its bearers and develop income-generating opportunities for them associated with the continued practice of the element;
- Invites the State Party to continue its awareness-raising activities related to Al Sadu weaving particularly through fairs, festivals and the media, creating a new generation of practitioners and seeking to further develop the function of the element in the contemporary society of the United Arab Emirates;
- Encourages the State Party to continue working with and encouraging the activities of a number of different public, non-governmental and private organizations in safeguarding the element and expand its safeguarding activities to all of the seven emirates while putting into place the planned actions of building a Sadu House as a workshop combined with a space for training, exhibiting products and conducting a project on providing wool and natural dyes;
- Requests the Secretariat to inform the State Party at least nine months prior to the deadline of 15 December 2019 about the required submission of its next report on the status of this element.