Países beneficiario: Malawi
Popular among the Tumbuka people, the Vimbuza is practised by renowned traditional healers in a special ritual. Patients slowly enter trance, while the audience performs songs to call helping spirits. Vimbuza is a useful complement to other forms of medical treatment.
The safeguarding project seeks to:
- encourage the transmission of skills and knowledge to younger generations, and
- raise awareness about the importance of safeguarding the Vimbuza as part of traditional health practices.
The action plan includes:
- legal protections and training Vimbuza healers on intellectual property rights;
- creating an inventory based on field research in close cooperation with the practicing community;
- organizing dance festivals, thematic workshops and discussion panels broadcast on radio and television;
- developing educational programmes for young museum visitors of Mzuzu Regional Museum; and
- distributing educational leaflets in the Chitumbuka language.