Países beneficiario: Bangladesh
Bangladesh has a rich tradition in cultural heritage, specifically intangible cultural heritage. However, the more recent history and developments have affected and do increasingly threaten these practices and traditions. Stemming from this realization, the Bangladesh Government has addressed this issue and participated in the UNESCO programme for the Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Cultural Heritage – getting one tradition proclaimed as Masterpiece in the process (Baul Songs). In addition in 2009 Bangladesh ratified the 2003 UNESCO Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage, thereby demonstrating its commitment to establish mechanisms for the promotion and protection of ICH in the country. Recent developments include the inscription of Traditional art of Jamdani weaving in 2013 on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity. At the same time need for better understanding of the implementation of the Convention resulted in the organization by UNESCO Dhaka of a national workshop on the Implementation of the UNESCO Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage in Bangladesh which highlighted the need for an ICH inventorying in Bangladesh and further the implementation guidance and capacity development in the various aspects of the 2003 Convention in Bangladesh.
The main objective of the project would be to strengthen the capacities of Bangladesh to safeguard its intangible cultural heritage through effective implementation of the Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage
1. To enhance the understanding of the national authorities of the obligations entailed by the ratification of the UNESCO Convention and its implementation
2. To build up a critical mass of national capacity so that Bangladesh will have a sustainable framework for safeguarding intangible heritage and implementing the Convention
3. To develop an inventory for ICH at the national level
4. To sensitize national authorities about the importance and significance of safeguarding intangible cultural heritage, and in particular ICH elements in need of urgent safeguarding, by providing some consultative guidance and advisory on ICH Policy development; and by reinforcing their capacities to prepare nomination files for inscription on the Lists of Intangible Cultural Heritage.
Noticias y actividades:
- 2018-05-06 – Training for Bangladesh on the use of the mechanisms of the 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage
- 2018-05-04 – Safeguarding Intangible Cultural Heritage for Sustainable Development in Bangladesh - Capacity-building training workshop on ICH Nomination
- 2017-09-24 – Training Workshop on Community-Based Inventorying of Intangible Cultural Heritage
- 2016-10-31 – Workshop on community-based inventorying in Bangladesh
- 2016-10-02 – Training on the implementation of the 2003 Convention at the national level in Bangladesh
01/05/2014 - 01/03/2019 – Strengthening national capacities for safeguarding intangible cultural heritage in eight countries in Africa and the Arab Region: assessing needs and developing project proposals01/05/2014 - 31/12/2018 – Strengthening the capacities of Suriname and Dutch Caribbean islands for implementing the Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage