The aim of this project is to assist three countries in the Maghreb sub-region in the safeguarding of their intangible cultural heritage through the effective implementation of the Convention. It aims to build a critical mass of experience and knowledge, both in government institutions and in civil society, so that the beneficiary countries will be equipped with a suitable framework for the sustainable safeguarding of the intangible heritage and the implementation of the Convention over the long term.
To this end, the project will implement an integrated strategy, including a series of workshops and activities tailored to respond to the identified needs of each country. This project will cover the core concepts of the Convention. It will provide the beneficiary countries with a thorough understanding of their obligations at the national level and a substantial knowledge of the mechanisms for international cooperation established by the Convention. Based on an initial needs evaluation, the themes addressed will include the implementation at national level, the revision of legal and legislative frameworks, community-based inventorying, the preparation of nomination files for the Urgent Safeguarding List, the Representative List and the Register of Best Safeguarding Practices, and the preparation of requests for international assistance.
Each beneficiary country will also benefit from other safeguarding interventions tailored to their specific needs, ranging from practical experience of community-based inventorying to the provision of technical assistance and consultations on institutional or legal reforms. The project will also support the establishment of adequate mechanisms for the management of the intangible cultural heritage.
The project therefore implies sustained investment in the human resources of the beneficiary countries. It aims to create a core group of managers and actors in the field of cultural heritage with a thorough knowledge of the Convention and its mechanisms. The project also includes a series of activities and interventions, primarily organized on a national basis, but with the possibility of sub-regional synergy and cooperation between Maghreb countries.
News and activities:
- 2018-09-12 – Closing workshop for the project 'Safeguarding intangible cultural heritage through strengthening national capacities in Morocco, Mauritania and Tunisia'
- 2018-06-28 – Final consultation and validation meeting of the multi-year national strategy for the safeguarding of intangible cultural heritage
- 2018-04-06 – Second Consultation meeting on the elaboration of a national strategy for intangible cultural heritage
- 2018-04-02 – Training workshop on intangible cultural heritage and sustainable development
- 2017-11-20 – Training workshop on the preparation of safeguarding plans for intangible cultural heritage and Meeting on results of inventorying exercise
- 2017-10-31 – Consultation meeting on the development of a national strategy for the safeguarding of intangible cultural heritage
- 2017-10-28 – Training workshop on the elaboration of a national strategy for the safeguarding of intangible cultural heritage
- 2017-10-08 – Training workshop on the development of safeguarding plans for intangible cultural heritage and Presentation meeting on outcomes of inventorying exercise
- 2017-07-12 – Training workshop on the development of safeguarding plans for intangible cultural heritage
- 2017-05-26 – Training workshop on the preparation of International Assistance requests
- 2017-05-16 – Training workshop on the preparation of International Assistance requests
- 2017-05-15 – Capacity building in Morocco, Mauritania and Tunisia continues to thrive!
- 2017-04-01 – Training workshop on the preparation of International Assistance requests
- 2016-10-03 – Atelier sur l'élaboration de plans de sauvegarde
- 2016-09-05 – Atelier sur l'élaboration de plans de sauvegarde du PCI
- 2015-11-09 – Tunisia masters the Convention’s safeguarding mechanisms
- 2015-11-02 – Training workshop on the preparation of nomination files for the Convention's lists and of requests for international assistance.
- 2015-06-08 – Morocco is perfecting its knowledge in international mechanisms for safeguarding intangible cultural heritage
- 2015-03-01 – Intangible Heritage: it’s time for mid-term review in the Maghreb
- 2014-06-21 – Tunisia: INV workshop
- 2014-05-20 – Morocco: inventory workshop. Marrakech
- 2014-05-20 – Morocco continues its training for the inventory of living heritage
- 2014-04-02 – Morocco: safeguarding of living heritage, a shared interest among various actors
- 2014-03-26 – Morocco: workshop on the implementation of the 2003 Convention
- 2014-03-04 – Inventory workshop in Mauritania
- 2014-01-29 – Tunisia on the path to safeguarding intangible heritage
- 2014-01-26 – Tunisia: workshop on the implementation of the 2003 Convention at the national level
- 2013-10-22 – Mauritania: workshop on the implementation of the 2003 Convention at the national level
- 2013-10-17 – Mauritania launches capacity-building activities to safeguard its living heritage
02/10/2018 - 02/10/2018 – Strengthening inventory preparation capacity for implementing the 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Saint Kitts and Nevis17/02/2017 - 30/06/2018 – Promotion of earthen ware pottery-making skills in Kgatleng district