The 16th session of the Committee is about to begin online
Following the consultation of the Bureau that took place last week, the sixteenth session of the Intergovernmental Committee for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage will begin this coming Monday and will take place online. An opening ceremony will take place at the beginning of the morning session on Monday (Paris time). To this date, around 900 hundred participants have registered.
Mr Punchi Nilame Meegaswatte, Secretary-General of the Sri Lanka National Commission for UNESCO, will chair this annual gathering. Each morning session will start at 10.15am and end at 1.15pm (Paris time). In the afternoon, the session will start at 2.15pm and end at 5.15pm (Paris time). The provisional timetable is available online, although the updated timetable will be uploaded every day on the 16.COM webpage.
The items of the agenda notably include the examination of nominations submitted by States Parties for inscription on the Lists of the Convention of :
- 48 elements for inscription on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity,
- 6 elements for inscription on the List of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Need of Urgent Safeguarding,
- 5 proposals for the Register of Good Safeguarding Practices and 3 International Assistance requests exceeding US$100,000 submitted by Djibouti, Mongolia and Timor-Leste.
The 16th session will also examine:
- periodic reports on the implementation of the Convention in Latin American and Caribbean countries,
- periodic reports of elements inscribed on the Urgent Safeguarding List,
- the report of the Intangible Cultural Heritage-NGO Forum,
- reforms to the listing mechanisms of the 2003 Convention.
Key information for participants and all the documents are available on the dedicated webpage.
New inscriptions will be published on UNESCO’s Twitter accounts.
16th session of the Intergovernmental Committee (13 December 2021 – 18 December 2021)