Twenty-one international experts gathered on 21 and 22 May at UNESCO Headquarters at the request of the Intergovernmental Committee for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage see Decision to explore operational modalities of action for the safeguarding of intangible cultural heritage in situation of emergencies.
The dual dimension of emergencies and living heritage was underlined during the event - on one hand the threats on the viability of living heritage in such situations and on the other hand, the role of living heritage as a resource for preparedness, recovery, resilience and reconciliation. Experts highlighted the complexity and breadth of emergencies and their impact on living heritage and stressed that saving people is the first step towards safeguarding living heritage as the latter is inseparable from its bearers. In this regard, cooperation with humanitarian actors and other relevant stakeholders is fundamental.
Experts also highlighted the principle of community-based actions, which is at the core of the 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage.
The outcomes of the meeting will be reported to the fourteen session of the Intergovernmental Committee in Bogota, Colombia, from 9 to 14 December 2019, in order to inform the discussion on this matter.
- Expert Meeting on Intangible Cultural Heritage in Emergencies: English|French
- Preliminary programme
LHE/19/EXP/1 Rev.2: English|French
- Presentation - Session 1: Frameworks - Other relevant international instruments and standards: English
- Presentation - Session 2: Intangible cultural heritage in emergencies - Overlapping issues: English
- Presentation - Session 3: Intangible cultural heritage and existing operational modalities: English
- Presentation - Session 4: Defining Methodological Guidance: English
- Working document
- List of participants
LHE/19/EXP/3 Rev.: English/French
- Presentation - Opening: English|French
- Presentation - Session 1: UNESCO Frameworks: English|French
- Presentation - Session 2: Disasters (by Mr Hiroki Takakura): English
- Presentation - Session 2: Conflict (by Mr Lassana Cissé): French