The aim of this project was to strengthen the national capacities of Suriname and the Dutch Caribbean Islands to effectively safeguard intangible cultural heritage (ICH). The project involved a national consultation on the status of ICH carried out in Bonaire, Curaçao, Saba, Sint Eustatius, Sint Marteen and Suriname, as well as training workshops on the implementation of the 2003 Convention, community-based inventorying of ICH, safeguarding plans, International Assistance and the nomination process. Field inventory exercises were also carried out in Aruba, Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, Sin Maarten and Suriname.
Core teams in the seven islands composed of representatives from national authorities, civil society and the communities concerned benefitted from the project, acquiring enhanced knowledge and skills relating to the Convention and ICH safeguarding. Thanks to the project, the territories have recognized the importance of developing national inventories of their ICH and have taken initiatives to this end. Moreover, Curaçao has finalized its co-ratification of the Convention as a semi-autonomous territory within the Kingdom of the Netherlands, joining Sint Maarten (2015). Suriname is now also taking steps to ratify the Convention.
The project was also an opportunity to foster sub-regional networking and cooperation in the field of ICH safeguarding.
News and activities:
- 2018-10-29 – Workshop on natural disaster and intangible cultural heritage
- 2017-10-23 – The 2003 Convention reaches 175 State Parties!
- 2017-04-27 – Dutch Caribbean Islands and Suriname meet to discuss mechanisms for international cooperation mechanisms under the 2003 Convention
- 2016-05-16 – Joint workshop on the elaboration of safeguarding plans, Dutch Caribbean islands
- 2016-05-16 – Dutch Caribbean Islands and Suriname team up for innovative workshop on the elaboration of safeguarding plans
- 2016-04-14 – Suriname committed to inventorying its intangible cultural heritage
- 2016-04-11 – Inventorying of living heritage in Suriname
- 2015-07-27 – Suriname taking important strides towards the safeguarding of its living heritage
- 2015-07-20 – Suriname taking important strides towards the safeguarding of its living heritage
- 2015-02-22 – Joint workshop on community-based inventorying of intangible cultural heritage
- 2015-02-19 – Dutch Caribbean islands press on with inventorying its living heritage
- 2014-09-08 – Joint training on the implementation of the 2003 Convention for the Dutch Caribbean islands
- 2014-09-08 – Project launch: safeguarding living heritage in Suriname and the Dutch Caribbean islands
- 2014-06-24 – Curaçao national consultation meeting
- – Sint Maarten national consultation meeting
05/02/2018 - 30/04/2019 – Thailand’s efforts in safeguarding intangible cultural heritage through strengthening local communities' capacities03/07/2017 - 31/12/2018 – Support to the development of a safeguarding and valorization strategy for knowledge and know-how linked to craftsmanship in Morocco