Benefitting country(ies): Niger
Conducted in close cooperation with the Directorate for the Intangible Cultural Heritage of the Ministry of Communication, New Information Technologies and Culture, the project aimed to support Niger in the process, already underway, of taking ownership of the concepts and tools provided by the Convention in order to create an institutional and social environment favorable to the efficient and sustainable safeguarding of the intangible cultural heritage. UNESCO’s work focused on three key themes of the Convention which are the basis for existing training modules: (i) the implementation of the Convention at the national level; (ii) the preparation of community-based inventories of the intangible cultural heritage; and (iii) the preparation of nominations for the Lists of the Intangible Cultural Heritage as well as requests for international assistance. Although the training workshops and activities are the project’s most visible references, they have been integrated into a comprehensive process of international cooperation and technical assistance.
News and activities:
- 2016-10-17 – Atelier sur l'élaboration de plans de sauvegarde
- 2016-03-09 – Niger is enhancing its legacy in ICH safeguarding!
- 2015-04-20 – Niger strengthens its capacities for inventories of intangible heritage
- 2014-11-10 – Training Workshop on the the implementation of the 2003 Convention
- 2014-11-07 – Niger launches a capacity-building programme for the safeguarding of its living heritage