In the process of elaborating a new international convention for the safeguarding of intangible cultural heritage, it proved essential to draw up a glossary presenting and defining the most frequently used terms relating to intangible cultural heritage, and found in various texts, analysis and documents.
During the international meeting of experts organised by UNESCO in Rio de Janeiro on “Intangible Cultural Heritage: priority domains for an international convention” (Brazil, 22-24 January 2002), experts had underlined the importance and urgency of having such a glossary at disposal. Consequently, it was decided to convene at UNESCO headquarters, in June 2002, a meeting of experts in order to establish the definitions of those terms.
In view of this, and following the request made by the Intangible Cultural Heritage Section, the Netherlands National Commission for UNESCO proposed, as a national contribution to the debates, a set of draft definitions of a certain number of terms relating to intangible cultural heritage. Therefore, the Netherlands National Commission formed a group of experts, who met several times so as to elaborate a draft glossary.
Finally, an group of international experts met at UNESCO from 10 to 12 June 2002, examined the draft glossary drawn up by the Dutch experts and finalised a glossary.
- Glossary (English-French)
- List of documents
- Draft agenda
- Provisional list of participants
- Draft glossary proposed by a group of Dutch experts convened by the bureau of the Netherlands National Commission for UNESCO
- Definitions of “intangible cultural heritage” in use by various Member States
- Working definitions of “intangible cultural heritage” in use by intergovernmental organizations
- Working definitions of “intangible cultural heritage” in use by non-governmental organizations
- Defining the Scope of the Term “Intangible Cultural Heritage”, by Peter Seitel
- Various definitions contained in official UNESCO documents
- Glossary of World Heritage Terms – A Glossary of Terms relating to the Implementation of the World Heritage Convention
- Developing a New Standard-setting Instrument for the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage: Elements for Consideration
- Speech delivered by the Assistant Director-General for Culture at the opening session
TER/CH/2002/INF/8: English in preparation|French in preparation