- Recalling Chapter V of the Convention and Chapter I of the Operational Directives, concerning the approval of international assistance requests,
- Having examined Document ITH/12/7.COM 3.BUR/4 as well as the international assistance request 00591 from Viet Nam,
- Takes note that Viet Nam has requested international assistance for the project entitled ‘Capacity building in designing, implementing, and evaluating intangible cultural heritage projects in Viet Nam’ described as follows:
The project seeks to develop a toolkit that will help all levels of cultural managers and practitioners in local communities to improve their abilities to design, implement and evaluate safeguarding projects, thereby facilitating the implementation of the 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage and the 2009 amended Vietnam Law on Cultural Heritage. The toolkit is to include the guiding principles of safeguarding and promotion activities, as well as a set of checklists with concrete indicators for users to apply those principles in the design, implementation and evaluation process. Indicators will be linked to a national inventory system that is currently being developed. The project will be implemented under the direction of the Vietnam Institute of Culture and Art Studies (VICAS), the leading governmental agency on safeguarding and promoting the intangible cultural heritage of Viet Nam, with the collaboration of the Department of Cultural Heritage (DCH) under the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism and the Institute of Cultural Studies (ICS) of the Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences. Within the scope of twelve months, experts from the collaborating parties will produce the toolkit for a nation-wide training programme for cultural managers and officers as well as any organizations, communities and individuals working in the area of intangible cultural heritage. In the end, 1,000 copies of a toolkit will be distributed and institutionalized for use throughout Viet Nam.
- Decides that, from the information provided in file 00591, Capacity building in designing, implementing and evaluating intangible cultural heritage projects in Viet Nam responds as follows to the criteria for international assistance in Paragraph 12 of the Operational Directives and to the additional considerations in Paragraph 10:
- Approves, as authorized body, the international assistance request from Viet Nam for ‘Capacity building in designing, implementing, and evaluating intangible cultural heritage projects in Viet Nam’ for an amount of US$25,000;
- Requests the Secretariat to reach agreement with the requesting party on the technical details and the calendar of the assistance.