- Recalling Chapter V of the Convention and Chapter I of the Operational Directives,
- Having examined Document ITH/16/11.COM 3.BUR/5, as well as the international assistance request no. 01158,
- Takes note that Seychelles has requested International Assistance for a project entitled Strengthening capacity in Seychelles for safeguarding intangible cultural heritage:
The project aims to strengthen the institutional and human capacities in Seychelles to safeguard the intangible cultural heritage present in its territory. In parallel, the project also seeks to reinforce legal frameworks for the safeguarding of intangible cultural heritage, in particular through its inclusion in the National Heritage Bill which is currently being developed under the leadership of the agency responsible for the implementation of the present project, namely the Department of Culture of the Ministry of Tourism and Culture. Through all planned activities, the project intends to raise awareness among policy-makers and communities from Seychelles’ three main islands, Mahe, Pralin and La Digue, on their respective roles in the safeguarding efforts at the national level and on the importance of safeguarding intangible cultural heritage for sustainable development, particularly for adapting to climate change. Planned activities include training on the implementation of the 2003 Convention at the national level, community-based inventorying through participatory video and preparation of nominations to the Convention’s list as well as policy advisory services. Over a period of 14 months, the Department of Culture will work closely with the administrations of the 25 districts of the country to implement activities, with the assistance of national and international experts in the field of cultural heritage.
- Further takes note that this assistance concerns support for a project carried out at national level aimed at safeguarding intangible cultural heritage in accordance with
Article 20 (c) of the Convention, and that it takes the form of the granting of a donation in line with Article 21 (g) of the Convention;
- Also takes note that Seychelles requested an allocation of US$94,718 from the Intangible Cultural Heritage Fund for implementation of the project;
- Decides that from the information provided in file no. 01158, the request responds as follows to the criteria for granting International Assistance given in paragraphs 10 and 12 of the Operational Directives:
- Approves the international assistance request from Seychelles for a project entitled Strengthening capacity in Seychelles for safeguarding intangible cultural heritage and to grant an amount of US$90,000 to the State Party to this end;
- Takes note of the technical assistance provided to Seychelles in preparing this request and commends the effort made by the State Party to follow-up on that assistance by substantially revising its initial request;
- Requests the State Party to work with the Secretariat at the earliest opportunity in order to revise, within the amount granted, the budget breakdown and make sure it corresponds exactly to the planned activities and includes only eligible costs;
- Encourages the State Party to coordinate closely with the Secretariat for the implementation of the project in order to ensure that the stakeholders will benefit fully from the developments under the UNESCO’s global programme for strengthening national safeguarding capacities, with which the State Party wishes to align the project;
- Invites the State Party to use the ICH-04-Report Form when reporting on the use of assistance provided;
- Further invites the State Party, if it wishes to request preparatory assistance for the elaboration of a nomination to the List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage in Need of Urgent Safeguarding, to prepare a separate request using the ICH-05 Form in compliance with established procedures and deadlines.