Main areas of work related to the Convention:
ACTIVITIES Over the Past 5 years (Summary)
• Has Increased the capacity of the organization and its committee members in carrying out their duties, supported by a full time office staff.
• Has carried out ongoing close and effective collaboration with government bodies and ministries (eg. Ministry of Culture and Tourism, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, etc.) as well as private organizations and private individuals both within Indonesia as well as overseas, for instance by organizing Friends of Wayang to support wayang safeguarding activities
• Has supported the declaration of an organization dedicated to safeguarding of wayang orang, called PEWANGI (Union of Wayang Orang and Traditional Theatre), on 31st October 2010.
Research and Development
• Research done regarding critiques of wayang, the noble values contained in wayang, and development of wayang along with the challenges of the age
• Development of classic wayang as well as new innovations
• Conservation and development of rare styles of wayang eg. Wayang Palembang, Wayang Banjar, Wayang Beber, etc. saving these styles of wayang from possible extinction.
• Prepared materials and documents for the declaration of Philosophy of Wayang as a science at Gajah Mada University, Yogyakarta, on 30th March 2011.
• Has collaborated with universities such as ISI Surakarta, Gajah Mada University, regarding research on wayang.
Documentation and Information about Wayang
• Research and Documentation done regarding all existing types of wayang found in Indonesia (estimated to be more than 60 types or styles)
• Development of PDWI (Indonesian Wayang Database Centre). PDWI is a multimedia database containing information regarding all aspects of wayang. This electronic data center is accessible both nationally and internationally. (http://www.pdwi.org ) PDWI is located in SENA WANGI office, and contains and extensive library and audiovisual archive on all aspects of wayang. Students and researchers often take advantage of the database which is open to the public daily through 10 computer terminals provided.
Has published a number of books regarding wayang, including philosopy of wayang, printed and audio-visual teaching materials on various styles of wayang, Encyclopedia of Wayang, manuscripts of books on wayang, a wayang journal, upgrading and publication of the wayang magazine “ Cempala” and others.
Appreciation of Wayang
• Has motivated wayang organizations especially PEPADI ( Indonesia Puppeteers Union) traditional schools of wayang (sanggar), as well as private and governmental bodies related to the field of wayang art to organize performances of wayang
• Has organized periodic festival of wayang. Indonesian Wayang Week, which has been held once every 5 years since the founding of SENA WANGI. Various wayang festivals and performances are held annually or biennially.
• Has organized performances of wayang especially produced for broadcast media ( a TV program including wayang performance, called “Cempala”, and other programmes, film, video, etc).
In 2005-2007, SENA WANGI collaborated with UNESCO for the execution of an Action Plan for Safeguarding Indonesian Wayang. The programme consisted of creation of written and audio-visual teaching materials of 15 styles of Indonesian wayang, and guidance and assistance to 15 sanggar (traditional schools of wayang) as a pilot project for safeguarding wayang by transmission especially to younger generation. This programme notably succeeded in safeguarding and developing two styles of wayang which were at that time severely endangered and on the verge of extinction; namely, Wayang Palembang (South Sumatra Province) and Wayang Banjar (South Kalimantan Province).
In 2006, SENA WANGI pioneered and motivated the formation of the ASEAN Puppetry Association as one form of ASEAN collaboration in the social and cultural field. ASEAN Puppetr Association was declared by representatives of puppetry communities from all 10 ASEAN nations present at the First ASEAN Puppetry Festival 2006 in Jakarta, organized by SENA WANGI in Jakarta.
• In 2009, SENA WANGI pioneered the establishment of the Indonesian National Centre for UNIMA (Union Internationale de la Marionette ), and has continued to collaborate closely with UNIMA since that time.
• SENA WANGI has participated in various festivals, meetings and other international events related to wayang/puppetry eg. Hanoi, Vietnam, Phillipines, Malaysia, Hungary, India. etc.
• SENA WANGI has established and maintained collaboration and communication with puppetry artists and experts in the field of puppetry in many countries.
In the effort to conserve and develop wayang, the vision of SENA WANGI is the desire
To make wayang one of the pillars of national culture. For this purpose, the art of wayang should become a vehicle and mouthpiece of culture in order to uplift the quality and standard of humanity.
• To establish its role as a body for the conservation, preservation and innovation of the art of wayang
• To develop the art of wayang in accordance with the challenges of the present age
• To increase the appreciation of society with regards to the arts of wayang especially among the younger generation
• To spread within society the philosophical values and moral messages contained in wayang arts in the life of the people
• To apply principles of management, including communication and collaboration with institutions or individuals both within Indonesia and overseas, in developing wayang art
• To create an institution of critique of wayang arts.
The strategic program of SENA WANGI involves four basic program, namely formulation and establishment of policy for conservation and development of wayang ; research and development; documentation and information; and overseas connections.
• Formulation and establishment of policy for conservation and development of wayang
• Research and development of wayang, both classic and innovative
• Documentation and information about wayang through Indonesia Wayang Database Centre (PDWI) and its website
• Development of organization, bodies and traditional schools of wayang (sanggar)
• Seminars and other meetings
• Development of human resources involved in wayang, namely artists, expert and lovers of wayang
• Development of critique of wayang
• Maintenance of good connections with international organizations, foundations, and experts.
Indonesia has at least 60 styles of wayang, each having its own community. The number of wayang dalangs (puppeteers) is at least 5000, supported by musicians and singers. There are 350 sanggar or informal schools of wayang, spread all over Indonesia, as well as wayang organizations. The largest among them is SENA WANGI’s sister organization, the Indonesian Dalang’s Union or PEPADI. Since its founding, SENA WANGI has coordinated and interacted with these wayang organizations, as well as schools and communities with the purpose of developing communication, mutual respect and collaboration among all these elements and communities.
SENA WANGI has been active in developing wayang through the field of formal education by creating curicula and helping to create infrastructure. Wayang is now accepted as a field of study at 1st degree, masters and doctoral level at Gajah Mada Univesity in Yogyakarta. Curricula for wayang studies were developed by SENA WANGI.
SENA WANGI organized a support group called “Friends of Wayang” to raise ongoing support from the corporate sector (social responsibility) and other charitable groups and individuals, in order to fund activities for safeguarding of wayang cultural heritage.
SENA WANGI regularly organizes seminars, workshops and discussions, bringing together wayang experts, artists, wayang enthusiasts as well as government officials, to discuss wayang as well as how to safeguard wayang and transmit wayang cultural heritage to future generations.
SENA WANGI inspired and executed the creation of a puppetry organization on the sub regional level: ASEAN Puppetry Association (APA), held the first ASEAN Puppetry Festival in 2006, and has supported and participated in subsequent APA meetings and festivals. The purpose of APA is to promote mutual respect, safeguarding and exchange of information and cooperation in the field of puppetry on the subregional level (ASEAN), on the basis of “friendship through culture”
SENA WANGI organized an Asian Wayang Meeting in collaboration with China and India (Yogyakarta, 15-16 December 2008), to promote regional cooperation in wayang safeguarding
SENA WANGI has interacted with and supported traditional craftspersons who make wayang puppets and instruments of the gamelan orchestras which accompany wayang.