Benefitting country(ies): Palestine
This project is the result a of needs assessment in the field of intangible cultural heritage (ICH) that was made possible thanks to the financial contribution of the Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority (ADTCA).
Funded also by ADTCA, this project is designed to support Palestine in its efforts to safeguard its living heritage, in accordance with the 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage. In partnership with the Ministry of Culture and civil society organizations in Palestine, UNESCO will develop and provide policy support and a capacity-building programme based on needs that were identified earlier, in collaboration with national partners, during an evaluation mission to Palestine conducted in April 2015.
The aim of such interventions is to strengthen the capacities of the partners in the following fields: (i) knowledge and implementation of the 2003 Convention; (ii) strengthening the policy framework for safeguarding intangible cultural heritage; (iii) drawing up inventories and (iv) the preparation of nomination files and international assistance requests. The activities, which will be organized in cooperation with the national institutions responsible for safeguarding intangible cultural heritage, will involve civil society organizations and ensure balanced participation of women, men and young people throughout the process, as well as communities from different territories throughout Palestine.
News and activities:
- 2020-03-15 – Workshop on preparing requests for international assistance
- 2020-03-09 – Workshop on preparing nominations for the Lists of the 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage
- 2019-11-24 – Workshop on community-based inventorying of intangible cultural heritage
- 2019-11-22 – Capacity-building project kicks off in Palestine
- 2019-11-17 – National workshop on the effective implementation of the 2003 Convention
- 2017-07-10 – Capacity-building projects in Comoros, Egypt, Palestine and Sudan
03/07/2018 - 02/07/2019 – Strengthening the capacities of the DPR of Korea for community-based inventorying of ICH and for elaborating nomination files under the mechanisms of the 2003 Convention20/06/2019 - 20/06/2019 – National Oral Traditions (NOT), additional collection component