Benefitting country(ies): Bolivia (Plurinational State of)
The safeguarding action plan seeks, through intergenerational transmission, to ensure the preservation and transmission of the knowledge and wisdom of the Kallawaya culture, whose activity is bound to the ancestral healing medicine of the culture of the Andes.
The main objectives of the safeguarding project are to:
- promote the preservation and safeguarding of Kallawaya culture at local, regional and national levels;
- strengthen the techniques and transmission of traditional medicine,
- strengthen the knowledge concerning healing with natural medicines;
- create the necessary conditions to ensure the transmission of the traditional knowledge;
- promote Kallawaya culture, as part of the multicultural identity of Bolivia; and
- to promote the practice of traditional medicine in hospitals of the municipalities of the Bautista Saavedra province.
News and activities:
- 2017-09-28 – Kallawaya communities document their traditional healing and cultural practices for safeguarding purposes
- 2015-10-17 – Transmission workshop from elderly to younger Kallawayas
- 2015-09-21 – Safeguarding living heritage of Kallawaya communities in Bolivia
- 2015-09-13 – Transmission workshop from elderly to younger Kallawayas
10/08/2015 - 15/12/2015 – Safeguarding indigenous vernacular architecture and building knowledge in Vanuatu01/06/2012 - 01/12/2015 – Safeguarding Intangible Cultural Heritage of Belize, Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago through strengthening their capacities for implementation of the Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage