- Project budget:
- US$ 1,426,317
- European Union
- UNESCO - Regular budget
- Dates of implementation:
- 01/01/2009 - 01/01/2013
With the support of the European Union, UNESCO has launched the “Mediterranean Living Heritage Project (MedLiHer) ” to support the implementation of the Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage in Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon and the Syrian Arab Republic, with the participation of the Maison des Cultures du Monde (France).
The project’s overall objective is long-term capacity-building for implementation of the Convention in the Mediterranean countries, in particular by developing national safeguarding projects and supporting the participation of States Parties in international mechanisms. The action is also intended to improve regional cooperation and exchange of skills/experience by establishing a network of institutions and developing a web portal with a database.
MedLiHer is co-funded by the European Union through Euromed Heritage, a program which aims at contributing to mutual understanding and dialogue between cultures throughout the Mediterranean region by promoting its cultural heritage. Euromed Heritage 4 (2008-2012) creates new opportunities to increase people’s awareness and provide them with a sense of appropriation of their extraordinary common cultural heritage.
News and activities:
- 2012-12-17 – MedLiHer final evaluation meeting in Paris on 17 and 18 December 2012
- 2012-11-13 – MEDLIHER: four years of cooperation for the safeguarding of intangible cultural heritage in the Mediterranean
- 2012-10-07 – Another step in the safeguarding of Jordan’s living heritage: understanding the nominations’ process
- 2012-09-14 – A film and an exhibition to celebrate the Mediterranean intangible cultural heritage
- 2012-08-27 – New step in the MedLiHer project: Moviemakers and photographers meeting in Paris
- 2012-07-14 – Exploring the Intangible Cultural Heritage of the Nile’s banks: Inventorying activity in the governorate of Damietta, Egypt
- 2012-07-12 – Madaba, a pilot region for the safeguarding of intangible cultural heritage in Jordan
- 2012-07-06 – Partnerships for Inventorying Mediterranean Living Heritage
- 2012-06-29 – Encountering Zajal Poetry: Training Communities for its Inventory in Lebanon
- 2012-03-22 – Communities in Egypt, Lebanon and Jordan to embark on the inventorying of their living heritage
- 2010-11-28 – MEDLIHER Phase II evaluation meeting
- 2009-05-25 – Opening seminar of the Mediterranean Living Heritage project (MEDLIHER)