- Recalling Article 23 of the Convention as well as Chapter I.4 of the Operational Directives relating to the eligibility and criteria of International Assistance requests,
- Having examined Document LHE/19/14.COM 1.BUR/3 as well as International Assistance request no. 01529 submitted by Djibouti,
- Takes note that Djibouti has requested International Assistance for the project entitled Capacity building in community-based inventorying:
Implemented by the Ministry of Islamic Affairs, Culture and Charitable Assets of the Republic of Djibouti’s Department of Culture, this nine-month project is aimed at strengthening national capacities for inventorying elements of intangible cultural heritage with a view to safeguarding them. Despite recent efforts by the country to establish administrative structures capable of safeguarding living heritage, there is insufficient awareness among different stakeholders and a lack of experience in drawing up inventories as well as insufficient fundamental knowledge that is crucial for developing a concrete safeguarding plan. In this context, the proposed project aims to train more than sixty participants through capacity-building workshops that will focus on community-based inventorying and the preparation of safeguarding plans and requests for International Assistance under the Intangible Cultural Heritage Fund of the 2003 Convention. The project will cover three regions, each associated with different communities of the Afar, Arab and Somali populations. Pilot fieldwork will also be conducted to inventory the intangible cultural heritage elements of these communities.
- Further takes note that this assistance is to support a project implemented at the national level, in accordance with Article 20 (c) of the Convention, and that it takes the form of the provision of a grant, pursuant to Article 21 (g) of the Convention;
- Also takes note that Djibouti has requested assistance in the amount of US$82,080 from the Intangible Cultural Heritage Fund for the implementation of this project;
- Decides that, from the information provided in file no. 01529, the request responds as follows to the criteria for granting International Assistance given in paragraphs 10 and 12 of the Operational Directives:
Criterion A.1: The request assigns a central role to the Afar, Arab and Somali communities located in three different regions, with the broader objective of strengthening the national capacities of Djibouti to safeguard its living heritage. The communities concerned will be involved in the monitoring and follow-up of the activities. Community participation seems to also be ensured throughout the implementation stage through their active involvement as key actors in the identification and definition of the intangible cultural heritage elements, as well as in the development of the inventory and the safeguarding plan.
Criterion A.2: The budget is presented in a clear, comprehensive and detailed manner, in line with the proposed activities; therefore, the amount of assistance requested may be considered to be appropriate for the implementation of the project.
Criterion A.3: The request presents a series of four activities from training on community-based inventorying and pilot inventorying to further training on the development of safeguarding plans, which are well-conceived and articulated in a logical sequence. They have been devised by taking into account recent capacity-building initiatives implemented by the country and therefore form part of a larger safeguarding effort at the national level. The expected results also seem to be achievable within the proposed project duration and timetable.
Criterion A.4: In line with the long-term national strategy and the country’s implementation of the 2003 Convention, the results of the project are expected to last beyond the end of the assistance and to provide the basis for developing inventories at the national level. The focus on reinforcing the capacities of relevant institutions and the communities concerned, as well as the purchase of equipment for documentation and inventorying purposes, should also enhance the sustainability of the project.
Criterion A.5: The requesting State will share 4 per cent of the overall budget of the project for which International Assistance is requested from the Intangible Cultural Heritage Fund.
Criterion A.6: Capacity building for the communities concerned and the national institutions involved, in the field of safeguarding intangible cultural heritage, emerges as a fundamental component of the project. The request adequately demonstrates that the project will contribute to building the capacities of the communities to inventory their living heritage, while at the same time strengthening the national professional capacities for the development of legislative and institutional safeguarding frameworks.
Criterion A.7: The State Party has not previously received any financial assistance from UNESCO under the Intangible Cultural Heritage Fund of the 2003 Convention to implement similar or related activities in the field of intangible cultural heritage.
Paragraph 10(a): The project is national in scope and its implementation involves national and local partners, including the National Committee for Intangible Cultural Heritage, the Directorate of the National Archives and local media and non-governmental organizations.
Paragraph 10(b): The training received by the communities and the national authorities and the equipment acquired for drawing up community-based inventories will enable other communities to replicate the exercise on a national scale.
- Approves the International Assistance request from Djibouti for the project entitled Capacity building in community-based inventorying and grants the amount of US$82,080 to the State Party to this end;
- Requests that the Secretariat reach an agreement with the requesting State Party on the technical details of the assistance, paying particular attention to ensuring that the budget and the work plan of the activities to be covered by the Intangible Cultural Heritage Fund are detailed and specific enough to provide a sufficient justification of all the expenditures;
- Invites the State Party to use Form ICH-04-Report when reporting on the use of the International Assistance provided.