- Recalling Article 23 of the Convention as well as Chapter I.4 of the Operational Directives relating to the eligibility and criteria of International Assistance requests,
- Having examined Document LHE/19/14.COMBUR/4 as well as International Assistance request no. 01253 submitted by Albania,
- Further recalling Document ITH/18/13.COM/10.d, as well as Decision 13.COM 10.d,
- Takes note that Albania has submitted a revised International Assistance request for the project entitled Community based inventory of ICH in Albania with a view to safeguarding and transmitting to future generations:
To be implemented by the Ministry of Culture, the proposed 26-month project is aimed at compiling a community-based inventory of intangible cultural heritage in Albania, with a view to drawing up tailored action plans for its safeguarding and transmission to future generations. Despite considerable efforts to safeguard living heritage in Albania, a thorough national inventory of living heritage with concrete community involvement is yet to be compiled. To address this situation, the proposed project involves drawing up an inventorying methodology and initiating the inventorying process in three selected districts of Albania. Firstly, a tailored inventorying methodology will be compiled through training and workshops; and secondly, elements of living heritage in the selected regions will be inventoried, including those of five ethno-linguistic minorities; the information on the elements identified through inventorying will be made available through an open data platform that will be created through the project Specifically, the project intends to: create a mechanism to better involve communities in the safeguarding process; expand the current limited inventory; strengthen the processes for transmitting living heritage-related knowledge; improve professionals’ capacities to safeguard intangible cultural heritage in Albania; and raise awareness of its importance. The communities and bearers will be at the heart of the inventorying process, distinguishing it from previous inventory-making activities. Following the implementation of the project, the Ministry of Culture is expected to continue the inventorying process and apply the methodology to all the remaining districts of Albania, leading to the compilation of a complete national inventory by the end of 2025.
- Further takes note that this assistance is to support a project implemented at the national level, in accordance with Article 20 (c) of the Convention, and that it takes the form of the provision of a grant, pursuant to Article 21 (g) of the Convention;
- Also takes note that Albania has requested assistance in the amount of US$213,260 from the Intangible Cultural Heritage Fund for the implementation of this project;
- Congratulates the State Party for revising the request, having taken into consideration the reservations expressed by the Committee particularly under Criterion A.2, on the coherence amongst the budget, timetable and the activities listed in the request, at its thirteenth session when the request was previously examined (Decision 13.COM 10.d) and thanks the Secretariat for having accompanied the State Party during the revision process;
- Decides that, from the information provided in the revised file 01253, the request responds as follows to the criteria for granting International Assistance given in paragraphs 10 and 12 of the Operational Directives:
- Approves the International Assistance request from Albania for the project entitled Community based inventory of ICH in Albania with a view to safeguarding and transmitting to future generations and grants the amount of US$213,260 to the State Party to this end;
- Requests the Secretariat to reach an agreement with the requesting State Party on the technical details of the assistance, paying particular attention to ensuring that the detailed work plan of the activities to be covered by the Intangible Cultural Heritage Fund is specific enough to provide a sufficient justification of the expenditures;
- Invites the State Party to use Form ICH-04 Report when reporting on the use of the assistance provided.