General information for the 2nd extraordinary session of the Committee
- PHOTO:00310-LRG-R-The second extraordinary session of the Committee will be held from Monday 18 to Friday 22 February 2008 in Sofia, at the Congress Centre - National Palace of Culture. Located in the heart of Sophia, it is one of the symbols of the city and the biggest exhibition and congress centre in Bulgaria.
The registration form should be returned before 31 January 2008 to Ms Samira ZININI:
- by e-mail (if permitted by your Acrobat version): email@example.com;
- by fax: +33 (0)1 45 68 57 52
- or in hard copy, addressed to:
1 rue Miollis
75732 Paris Cedex 15
Flight information, transfer from/to airport and excursion
The participants are requested to send in before 8 February 2008 the form “Flight information and participation in excursion” to inform the Secretariat of UNESCO (Ms Samira Zinini, firstname.lastname@example.org) of :
- their flights dates, time and reference,
- their interest in having transfers organized from and to the airport, and
- their intention to participate or not in the excursion organized on 23 February.
On Saturday 23 February, the participants are invited (guided visits, transport and lunch offered) by the Bulgarian Organizing Committee to discover the second city of Bulgaria – Plovdiv, located between three hills in the Thracian Plain through which the calm and gentle Maritza River flows. Plovdiv is not only a large industrial and administrative centre, but also an antique cultural crossroads between East and West. The city of Plovdiv is a veritable historical and cultural treasure dating back 24 centuries, perfectly conserved. There are numerous brilliant examples of the Bulgarian National Renaissance period.
The visit to the Ethnographical Museum, the churches and the street of craft workshops and popular art – the main monuments of the old city of Plovdiv, shall be followed by a lunch and departure to the Bachkovo Monastery.
The Bachkovo Monastery, one of the oldest monasteries in the country, is located in the picturesque Chaya River Valley, 29 km south of the city of Plovdiv. Founded in 1083, the Monastery is famous for its original architecture, its rich collection of icons, jewelry and ancient coins and church plate. The Monastery was destroyed in the 14th century CE, and rebuilt a century later. The most famous treasure of the Monastery is a miraculous icon of the Madonna that, according to legend, cures the sick.
Delegates wishing to participate in this excursion are invited to indicate so in the Form “Flight information and participation in excursion”.
The Bulgarian Organization Committee recommends the eight hotels listed below, most of which are located close to the Congress Centre – National Palace of Culture in Sofia. The indicated accommodation rates in these hotels are preferential for participants in the session of the Committee. All participants are responsible for their own costs, including accommodation and other expenses, such as telephone, facsimile, laundry.
Participants should not make direct reservations to any of these hotels, but only, before 8 February 2008, through Ms Zdravka Dimitrova:
|Hotel \ Room type||Single Standard||Single Deluxe||Double Standard||Double Deluxe|
|Hilton*****||215 €||275 €||240 €||295 €|
|Grand Hotel Sofia*****||195 €||225 €||220 €||250 €|
|Downtown****||140 €||205 €||160 €||225 €|
|Festa Barcelo****||120 €||160 €||140 €||180 €|
|Les Fleurs****||120 €||185 €||130 €||190 €|
|Kolikovski****||110 €||135 €||120 €||145 €|
|Rodina****||-||80 €||-||90 €|
|Hemus***+||-||60 €||-||75 €|
- Boulevard “Bulgarie” 1, - Sofia 1421 - http://www.hilton.bg
- Located in the city centre and 5 minutes walking distance from the Congress Centre, the perfect business hotel with easy access to the shopping area of Sofia. Internet access.
Grand Hotel Sofia
- Rue “Gourko” 1, - Sofia 1000 - http://www.grandhotelsofia.bg
- The most recent business hotel in Sofia, located in the city centre, 15 minutes walking distance from the Congress Centre. It combines the best Bulgarian traditions – warmth and hospitality with a guaranteed high level of service and facilities to satisfy the most demanding of clients. For business clients, the hotel offers: voice mail, direct telephone access and high speed Internet access.
- Boulevard “Vassil Levski” 27 - Sofia 1040 - http://www.hotel-downtown.net
- Located in the city centre, some 300 meters from the Congress Centre – National Palace of Culture and close to the large financial, cultural and business areas, shopping centres and tourist attractions. Each room has LAN and Wifi connection to Internet.
- Boulevard “Bulgarie” 83 - Sofia 1404 - http://www.festabarcelosofia.com
- The excellent Hotel Festa Barcelo is part of the World Hotel Group Barcelo Hotels & Resorts and located at the foot of Vitocha Mountain, and is only 10 minutes by car from the Congress Centre. All the rooms have Ethernet LAN / Internet Wifi available.
- Boulevard “Vitosha” 21 - Sofia 1000 - http://www.lesfleurshotel.com
- Located on the main avenue of Sofia, close to the cultural, business and shopping areas of Sofia, Les Fleurs Hotel is a few minutes walking distance from the Congress Centre – National Palace of Culture. The hotel is attractively decorated, with good service and an interesting combination of comfort and facilities in floral style. WIFI Internet in all the rooms.
- Rue “Hristo Belchev” 46 - Sofia 1000 - http://www.kolikovski.com
- Located some 400 metres from the Congress Centre - National Palace of Culture and close to the most attractive commercial street of Sofia - “Vitocha” boulevard with its boutiques, luxury cafés, restaurants and pubs, the Boutique Kolikovski Hotel was conceived to respond to the most demanding of holiday and business clients. Free Wifi connection to Internet available in the reception area.
- Boulevard “Kniaz Boris I” 8 - Sofia 1606 - http://www.rodina.bg
- Hotel Rodina is the highest four stars hotel in Sofia, located at 20 minutes walking distance from the Congress Centre – National Palace of Culture and the center of the city. Internet connexion is available in the Business Centre located on the ground floor as well as in De Luxe rooms.
- Boulevard “Cherni Vrah” 31 - Sofia 1421- http://www.hemushotels.com
- The Hotel Hemus is located only 500 metres from the Congress Centre – National Palace of Culture and the administrative and cultural city centre of Sofia. It offers a fantastic panoramic view of the city of Sofia and the Vitosha Mountain. Internet connection is available at the Business Centre of the hotel.
On 1 January 2007, Bulgaria adhered to the European Union. European Union nationals do not need a short- or long-term visa: they may enter and stay in Bulgaria with a valid passport or national identity card for a period of up to three months, without any formality. Beyond that period, within three months after entering Bulgarian territory, they must contact the Immigration Service of the Ministry of the Interior to obtain an extended resident permit, issued on the same day the request is made.
For all information concerning visas or other entry formalities for Bulgaria, please contact the Bulgarian Consular of your city/country directly. The letter from UNESCO addressed to all Member States of UNESCO may be used when applying for a visa. The ministries concerned in your country may also issue a letter of confirmation as an attachment. UNESCO does not provide personal letters of invitation and only the Bulgarian authorities may determine whether a visa is granted. Each participant is required to hold a valid passport, and obtain, if necessary, a visa and entry authorization for Bulgaria. No visa will be delivered at the airport.
Participants are recommended to obtain travel insurance coverage prior to arriving in Bulgaria.