- Presupuesto del proyecto:
- 300.000 US$
- Japan Funds-in-Trust
- Fechas de implementación:
- 01/07/2014 - 01/07/2017
- Project brochure: inglés
Países beneficiarios: Nigeria
A needs assessment carried out in 2011 showed that the national capacities of Nigeria are not yet adapted to meet the requirements of the 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage. The aim of the project is to lay a solid foundation to support Nigeria in its efforts to safeguard the living heritage present in the country.
Thanks to the financial assistance of Japan, the national authorities are being accompanied by UNESCO over a period of three years in order to create an effective institutional and legal environment for the safeguarding of rich intangible cultural heritage that exists in Nigeria. The project will also allow the strengthening of national capacities required for participating in the intergovernmental mechanism of the 2003 Convention. In particular, the following main activities will be implemented:
- (a) the revision of cultural policies and legal provisions,
- (b) training on inventorying of intangible cultural heritage with communities in the States of Niger, Oyo and Cross River and
- (c) training on the elaboration of nomination files for inscription on the Lists of the 2003 Convention and requests for international assistance.
Planned as a part of UNESCO’s global capacity-building strategy, this project is implemented by the UNESCO multi-sectoral Regional Office for West Africa in Abuja in cooperation with the Nigerian Federal Ministry of Tourism, Culture and National Orientation.
Project brochure: inglés
Noticias y actividades:
- 2017-10-26 – Stakeholders' meeting
- 2017-06-28 – Reinforcing capacities to safeguard intangible cultural heritage in Nigeria
- 2017-06-26 – Safeguarding Nigeria’s Intangible Cultural Heritage: Workshop on preparation of nomination files to the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage Lists and the preparation of request for International Assistance.
- 2017-02-20 – Community-based inventorying workshop with the Bida community
- 2016-11-14 – Community-based inventorying workshop with the Oyo community
- 2016-10-24 – Community-based inventorying for the Calabar community
- 2016-10-09 – Community-based inventorying workshop with the Calabar community
- 2016-06-11 – Training of trainers for community-based inventorying in Nigeria
- 2015-05-14 – Workshop on strengthening the policy and legal framework for the safeguarding of ICH in Nigeria.
- 2015-01-23 – Nigeria: Towards safeguarding of intangible heritage
01/03/2016 - 31/07/2017 – Strengthening sub-regional cooperation and national capacities in seven Southern African countries for implementing the 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage Part II04/08/2016 - 30/06/2017 – Inventorying of the music and dance of the Lozi and Nkoya people of Kaoma District