- Having examined Document ITH/13/8.COM/14.b,
- Recalling Articles 9 and b of the Convention and Chapter III.2 of the Operational Directives,
- Further recalling Resolution 4.GA 6 and Decision 7.COM 16.b, as well as Document ITH/13/8.COM/INF.5.c.1,
- Recognizes the diversity of experiences and competencies with which NGOs contribute to the implementation of the Convention at the local, national and international levels and the need to strengthen NGOs’ participation in the implementation of the Convention at all levels;
- Recalls that States Parties shall involve the relevant non-governmental organizations in the Implementation of the Convention, and encourages States Parties to promote increased NGOs and community involvement in the development of policy, legislation, and safeguarding and sustainable development plans;
- Takes note of the report on the profile of the accredited NGOs and the nature of their work and of the draft form for the Report by a Non-Governmental Organization Accredited to Act in an Advisory Capacity to the Committee on its Contribution to the Implementation of the Convention;
- Recommends to the General Assembly to revise the Operational Directives for the implementation of the Convention in order to revise the accreditation process and criteria for NGOs to ensure that all accredited NGOs have the required experience and capacity to act in an advisory capacity to the Committee; and requests the Secretariat to propose draft Operational Directives reflecting its debates during the present session, for examination by the General Assembly at its fifth session;
- Encourages States Parties to complement the data gathered on the implementation of the Convention through Periodic Reports submitted by States Parties including information provided by relevant NGOs; and requests the Secretariat to propose draft Operational Directives to that effect, reflecting its debates during the present session, for examination by the Committee at its ninth session.