Current estimates are that nearly 690 million people are hungry, or 8.9 percent of the world population – up by 10 million people in one year and by nearly 60 million in five years. The Sustainable Development Goal 2 (SDG 2, ‘Zero Hunger’) notably targets the maintenance of genetic diversity of seeds, the implementation of resilient agricultural practices and the enhancement of agricultural productive capacity in developing countries.
Numerous forms of living heritage support these aims. For example, traditional diets contribute to food security and good nutrition through the knowledge and beliefs related to foodways, from the cultivation of crops to the preparation of meals. Some forms of living heritage focus on the sanctity of food and encourage eating locally grown produce, thus reducing food waste (SDG 12, ‘Responsible consumption and production’) and carbon emissions (SDG 13, ‘Climate action’). Many cultures also follow the practice of food-sharing among community members, helping alleviate hunger while strengthening social bonds.
Browse through our resources below to discover some of those elements!
- Lavash dance scene Read more on the element
- A Maltese family preparing ftira for school lunch Read more on the element
- Inserting lavash in tanūr by the man and spreading the dough by the woman, Dūshānlū village, Meshkin Shahr, province of Ardabil (Islamic Republic of Iran) Read more on the element
- The second phase: the real performing art that assumes a character of ability due to the master of Naples Pizzaiuoli Read more on the element
- Ancient Georgian traditional Qvevri wine-making method Read more on the element
- An Omani elderly man teaching a child how to make Arabic coffee in Al-Hadheera (an enclosure where people of the old days used to make coffee, specially the Bedouin) Read more on the element
- Turkish coffee culture and tradition Read more on the element
- Groupe de gens au café Read more on the element
- Children enjoying Kimchi-making play. Read more on the element
- Squeezing marula fruits Read more on the element
- Nar Bayrami traditional pomegranate festivity and culture Read more on the element
- Dolma making and sharing tradition, a marker of cultural identity Read more on the element
- An Indian Muslim hawker cooking briyani (rice dish) Read more on the element
- Groupes de femmes roulant le couscous d’un mariage à (Algérie) Read more on the element
- Mediterranean diet Read more on the element
- Washoku, traditional dietary cultures of the Japanese, notably for the celebration of New Year Read more on the element
- The ritual Sabzirezakunon (cutting the carrots) in Panjakent Read more on the element
- Traditional Mexican cuisine - ancestral, ongoing community culture, the Michoacán paradigm Read more on the element
- La transmission par l’école Read more on the element