- Having examined document ITH/18/13.COM/7.b,
- Recalling Chapter V of the Operational Directives and its Decision 6.COM 8.13,
- Expresses its thanks to Mauritania for submitting its first report on the status of the element ‘Moorish epic T’heydinn’, inscribed in 2011 on the List of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Need of Urgent Safeguarding;
- Takes note of the continued efforts undertaken by Mauritania to safeguard this element, in particular by adopting measures for its transmission, such as the training of young griots, and raising public awareness about the Moorish epic T’heydinn through documentation, publication and dissemination initiatives;
- Invites the State Party to continue its efforts relating to the transmission of the Moorish epic T’heydinn, including in relation to its diverging repertoires, and to pursue the provision of training for young people interested, consider the contemporary social functions and cultural meanings of the element in society and update the safeguarding activities accordingly;
- Further invites the State Party to involve a broader community in developing the safeguarding measures, beyond the griot families and associations, as well as to monitor the impact of the safeguarding activities on a regular basis;
- Requests that the Secretariat inform the State Party at least nine months prior to the deadline of 15 December 2019 about the required submission of its next report on the status of this element.