- Having examined document LHE/21/16.COM/7.a,
- Recalling Chapter V of the Operational Directives and its Decisions COM 8.20 and 12.COM 8.c.11,
- Expresses its appreciation to Peru for submitting its second report on the status of the element Esuwa, Harakbut sung prayers of Peru’s Wachiperi people’ inscribed in 2011 on the List of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Need of Urgent Safeguarding, which was initially due for submission by 15 December 2020;
- Takes note of the efforts described in the report submitted by Peru to safeguard the element, in particular through documenting it, raising awareness about it through educational activities, enhancing intergenerational dialogue and the knowledge and use of the Wachiperi language, building the safeguarding capacities of the communities and applying a participatory approach to safeguarding, and supporting communities in their efforts to adapt to the COVID-19 pandemic situation;
- Commends the State Party for ensuring mutual respect among communities through regulatory measures aimed to protect the element from external judgements of value and to promote respect for the lifestyles of indigenous communities;
- Invites the State Party to pursue its efforts to transmit the element and to facilitate the use of the Wachiperi language, to raise awareness of the social functions and cultural meaning of the element and to broaden and strengthen partnerships for its safeguarding, including in the spheres of education, health care and nature protection;
- Further takes note of the official request of the bearer communities to modify the name of the element to ‘Esuwa, Harakbut sung prayers of Peru’s Wachiperi people’, which was approved at its present session, in accordance with Chapter I.12 of the Operational Directives on the modification of a name of an inscribed element (Decision 16.COM 6);
- Requests that the Secretariat inform the State Party at least nine months prior to the deadline of 15 December 2023 about the required submission of its next report on the status of this element.